The UFS is recruiting suitable candidates for the position of Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor / Professor (x2 positions) in the Department Mathematical Statistics and Actuarial Science at it’s Bloemfontein campus.
Rhodes University Lecturer in the Department of Statistics (3-year contract)
ICCSSA has decided to include some fun monthly challenges in the ICCSSA communications. This month’s challenge:
Produce an informative visualisation of the Kaggle data set on Lottery Powerball Results
- You may use any programming language you like. If you are an R user here is a nice tutorial on ggplot. You must code it yourself – no plagiarism will be accepted.
- Your submission must be the graphic output only i.e. no running of code required in addition.
- ICCSSA members and students registered with either SASA or ICCSSA, may enter. (Students can register with ICCSSA for free so if you want your students to enter they should simply apply for Associated Membership here – see next newsletter item on membership.)
- This challenge closes on 31 May 2022. Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org together with your details – use Subject ICCSSA Challenge 1 in the email.
- The best graphic (judged by the ICCSSA Board) will be sent a R300 Takealot voucher via email.
ICCSSA Newsletter April 2022
Message from the ICCSSA Chair
26 March 2020
Dear ICCSSA member,
The last few weeks have indeed been challenging for most South Africans as we deal with the effects of COVID-19. The lockdown that commences at midnight on Thursday 26th March will bring further uncertainty and will test us in many ways. However, I am sure that we will heed the important call from the President and play our part as responsible citizens of South Africa.
As ICCSSA Chairperson, I am writing to you on behalf of the ICCSSA board. This message is to wish you well over this period and to give you a brief update on the activities of ICCSSA. The Board had planned to host a seminar towards the latter part of April 2020, however this has been put on hold due to the current COVID-19 crisis.
The AGA has been scheduled for the 19th of June 2020 but due to the present uncertainty, this date is subject to change. Please look out for future communication from the board regarding this.
The Chairperson of the body of trustees, Dr Pravesh Debba (email@example.com) urges anyone in the statistical community to contact him as soon as possible should they have modelling ideas that they wish to explore on the spread of the COVID-19 virus in South Africa. Your participation will contribute to a body of work being undertaken to assist the Department of Health and the National Institute for Communicable Diseases. The idea is not to duplicate initiatives across the country but to form collaborative teams to deliver solutions without delays. Through this initiative we can showcase the relevance, importance and impact of using statistics for social good in South Africa.